The project «Together for the FUTURE of Small Multicultural Communities in EUROPE» was funded with the support of the European Union under the Programme “EUROPE FOR CITIZENS
Applicable to the Strand 2 – Measure 2.1 “Town-Twinning”
Participation: The project involved 300 citizens: 192 participants coming out of Bosnia and Herzegovina (notably 11 participants from Serbia, 7 from Slovenia, 31 from Italy, 143 from Croatia) and 108 participants from Bosnia and Herzegovina (notably 48 from Stolac and 60 from Čapljina).
Location/ Dates: The event took place in Čapljina, Bosnia and Herzegovina, from 26/09/2019 to 29/09/2019.
The day of 26/09/2019 was dedicated to:
- Arrival & accommodation of participants from Serbia (Bač), Croatia (Rab, Rakovica, Metković), Italy (Aquileia, Tarcento, Adriatic GreeNet), Slovenia (Piran).
- Press Conference with local journalists
- General Meeting with: Presentation of the participants’ delegations – Sharing the Event’s Agenda – Performances of traditional dances & music of the host Čapljina Municipality
- Welcome dinner
The day of 27/09/2019 was dedicated to:
In the morning:
- 48 children from invited countries as well as pupils of local elementary schools from Čapljina and Stolac actively participated in the Youth Creative Workshop, getting to know the most important local cultural and natural sights & sites, and took them as inspiration for their artworks showing what the contribution of their territory to European Culture is.
- 41 stakeholders from all involved communities participated to:
- Seminar on best practices for:
- Activating local young people in the development of sustainable tourism
- Net-working locally
- Increasing sustainable cultural tourism and active citizenship using the study-circles methodology
- Workshop: drafting a mapping of local cultural/natural/intangible heritage done by stakeholders from each community involved in the “I Care for Europe” Network.
Other participants had a sightseeing tour of the Hutovo Blato Nature Park by boat
In the afternoon was the Public Celebration of European Cultural Heritage with:
- Exhibition Opening: “The Cultural Heritage of Our Network” (36 panels)
- Exhibition of drawings/paintings of the Youth Creative Workshop “Our Future in Europe”
- Performances of singing and dance folklore groups from Croatia and BiH presenting folk traditions and customs from the Neretva River valley.
The day 28/09/2019 was dedicated to:
Sightseeing some of the cultural heritage of European value of Čapljina and its surroundings, for all participants:
- Old Historic Center of Mostar, with Old Bridge (UNESCO World Heritage Site)
- Orthodox Monastery Žitomislići (the oldest orthodox monastery in Herzegovina)
- Old Town Počitelj (on the UNESCO Tentative List)
- Mogorjelo (ancient Roman Villa Rustica)
All participants increased their knowledge and awareness of the cultural richness present in this area, with traces of several different nations and cultures who lived in Herzegovina during the past.
In the evening, all delegations participated in the traditional “Uštipak Fest” dedicated to the promotion of traditional food and other local products with the participation of thousands of citizens.
The day 29/09/2019 was dedicated to:
General Meeting with:
- Presentation of project results & Dissemination plan activities
- Presentation of project website
Closing of the exhibition – Official closing of the Final Event – International Press Conference